Traditional geocaches are the most basic in terms of what the minimum requirements are to publish one. In the most basic terms, all that is required is a container hidden at some location (GPS coordinates). Most cachers start with this type as their first hide. Our first hide, GC3AQF2 Kaylee’s Cache, was no different. We put a bison tube into a stick we hollowed out. We did some things right and we also made a few mistakes with our first one. We hid it in a location close to our house which was good but we definitely over-rated the difficulty for the hide. This was done mainly due to a lack of experience. We also did not obtain explicit permission despite it being in the field behind our house. We didn’t score a lot of favorite points with that one but we did get some good reviews and also got to meet several cachers as we could see them walking to the cache from our back window.
Our next cache, GC3D24P Miley’s 5th Birthday Cache, was quite the blunder. We again did not get permission, our coordinates were about 100 feet off, and we did not take into account the area surrounding the cache. We placed it on public property that was adjacent to private property which geocachers quickly trampled in their search. Oops, the good thing is we learned from our mistakes.
The next series we hid was fairly successful. Much like our first cache, the Hiking with GeoTom series, was based on a rescue dog we were fostering at the time. I was working to get Tom to come out of his shell. So, being part Husky and part Shepard I decided I would take him for a hike out away from people. It worked and I returned to the area a few times before deciding to hide a series of caches.
This series was hidden with permission and lasted until the land, owned by the state, was repurposed and leased out to hunters. That marked the end of safe geocaching in that area. Often, cachers would organize a group to go hunt for this series as it took several hours to make the hike. I was even invited to go along a few times and I had as much fun watching them search as they did getting their smileys.
Soon we decided to try some different containers and bought our first ammo can which we spray painted black for GC3T3W9 Black Betty. It was hidden down a walking trail and received a few fav points. Continuing on with our experiments with cache containers, we bought another ammo can and this time spent a little time on decorating it. We hid GC3V74E 08.22.98 + 14 in honor of our anniversary. It was just off a public walking trail and lasted almost a year before some muggles discovered and vandalized it. Luckily, we were able to salvage the container and rehide it – GC4FFTR 08.22.98 + 14 (Reborn). Five months later it was found by muggles again. I guess the white paint wasn’t helping much. We still refused to let this one go away so we found one more place to hide it, on top of a mountain cabled to a tree – GC4X4EC Third Time’s a Charm. It has been safe in its current location for a little over two years so we will keep our fingers crossed.
Next we tried again to step up our cache container creation skills so we built GC48HAT Black Betty II. This container required a little bit of glue, blots, and paint. We wanted to make it resemble its namesake – Black Betty – our Jeep that we use to go geocaching. It was well received and garnered us our most favorite points at that time. It lasted about 19 months and got around 25 favorite points. So far, this is the last traditional cache we put out.